Start by reading and following these instructions: 1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus. 2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and an
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and the any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.
Throughout this course you will be developing key components and elements of an employee manual. Each week you will be instructed to complete several policies and procedures that you will submit to your instructor for a grade and specific feedback. You are expected to incorporate any and all feedback provided by your instructor, make those changes on your end, and then at the end of the course, as your final project, you will be submitting a completed and revised employee manual.
This process of “learning by doing” is most valuable to adult learners. While creating an employee manual, learners begin to understand the reasons for the types of policies they may have followed during their careers. Those who have worked in situations where an employee manual was present, now have the opportunity to write policies the way they believe are better than in those previous environments. Those who have not worked in an environment where an employee manual was provided will tend to be more creative in their approaches, having not been pre-programmed by previous experience.
All policies and procedures must be original work. Students are encouraged to review existing policies and procedures to help build an understanding of what the policies should cover and the appropriate procedures, but students are not to copy from an existing manual and direct quotes cannot be used. All work must be original and based on a fictional healthcare facility.
Below you will be expected to complete the following in week 1:
- An introduction to the manual. This should be, at minimum 500 words, and include the following:
- The mission, vision, and values of the facility. Remember this must be original work written by you for a fictional facility. Make sure to research the differences between mission, vision, and value statements.
- A fictional history of the facility.
- A brief paragraph summarizing expectations of supervisors in regards to holding employees to the policies within the manual.
- A policy regarding the hiring and credentialing of healthcare professionals. You will need at least 500 words of content for this section and include both a policy and procedure. The policy should explain what needs to be done and the procedure should explain how it is done.
- A policy regarding at least three hiring laws/regulations that supervisors must follow. This should be, at minimum, 500 words of content. You need to include a brief summary of the laws/regulations and a procedure that highlights how supervisors can comply with these laws/regulations. You might consider addressing Equal Employment Opportunity, Civil Rights Act of 1964, Americans with Disabilities Act, etc.
You are required to use at least 3 outside resources, 1 of these may be the textbook, and all responses should be written in APA format to include, at minimum, indented paragraphs, the use of in-text citations as appropriate, and a properly formatted reference page. You may use standard employee manual formatting, but in-text citations and references are required.
It is important to note that this is not a research paper, but rather an employee manual designed to guide managers and employees alike. Your audience is these employees and managers.